Oct 28, 2017
By Greg Layton
HOW TO CREATE & SEIZE OPPORTUNITIES
How to create & seize opportunities
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Subscribe to Spotify
In this episode I cover a key point that all of the CEOs have made on the show, ‘How to Create and Seize Opportunities'.
“You have to create opportunities, they are the lifeblood of your track record”
Quick Summary of points:
- The top of the business world is fiercely competitive. Getting the chance at new opportunities can be rare and when they do come you have to make the most of it.
- Often you'll see other executives getting golden opportunities that you thought should go to you and not understand why. This is often because you're too busy, caught up in daily operations that you miss the chance to stand out.
- Don't be limited by your role description. (Ep 5 – Vivek Bhatia also talks about this)
- Work on the business with your boss (Ep 3 – Daniel Hunter refers to this)
- A mistake that many leaders make is that they don't seize the current opportunity in front of them and transform their current business. They keep waiting for bigger opportunities to come without looking at what is right in front of them. If you don't make a big impact in your current area the leadership of a company will often think you've gone as far as you can in the business.
Three Big Points:
- Create Space – so that you can work on the bigger opportunities. The most powerful ways to create space initially are through better delegation, building capability in your team and collaborating with others that have been through similar turn arounds before.
- Ask for more – work with your boss to ask for more and show a real passion and energy for the business.
- Double-down – when new opportunities present themselves double-down your effort and knock it our of the park. You have to exceed expectations.
MINI-MBA IN LEADING HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS
12 Week Leadership Development Program
Limited spaces per intake