Paul is one of the great reformers of modern Australian business. He has been a CEO for 28 years leading major reform in Hunter Water, Sydney Water, Powertel, AAPT, Infrastructure NSW and Snowy Hydro. He has led many of these companies through corporatization and user pays representing the biggest change in their organisational history.
Paul outlines how important it is to dream and believe in yourself, how as leader sometimes you have to break the rules to succeed and that success comes through personal power.
Paul’s top 10 quotes throughout the podcast are:
- “If I saw something I called it, I’d protect the underdog with my life, and I had a sense of justice about me that made me want to do things.”
- “I could understand personal power, but I could never understand positional power. Why would people want to exert position power?”
- “As a leader sometimes you have to break the rules to succeed. If a rule is there to impede you then you have to challenge the rules.
- “If its worth it and you believe in it then fight for it. Don’t give up.”
- “You have to have personal power, so that means you have to talk to people. You have to front people, sit in trenches, stand with dignity, talk the language they talk, manage through the ups and downs.”
- “Where we are going is non-negotiable, how we get there is infinitely negotiable.”
- “How you treat those who leave it a big signal to those who stay.”
- “You might make changes but you treat those people that are leaving with respect, with dignity.”
- “When you start believing your own bullshit then its time to go.”
- “Think in terms of outcomes, in terms of collaboration and using modern technology.”
Paul’s nominated charity is Father Chris Riley, Youth off the Streets and I’ve made a donation of $375 in Paul’s name for coming on the show. https://youthoffthestreets.com.au
Recommended Books, Influencers and Learning:
- Anything by Steve Jobs
- Ross Gittens – http://www.rossgittins.com
- Kurt Fearnley – http://www.kurtfearnley.com
- Pauls mentor – Dr John Patterson
Listen on iTunes here: